Product Development, Innovation, Engineering
£40,000 to £55,000 Per Annum
Lead Design Engineer / Design Engineering Manager
Salary £40,000 pa - £55,000 pa depending on experience
For many years this organisation has been assisting manufacturing businesses to utilise robotics and automation to improve efficiency. Their systems and process machinery brings together advanced technology, machine learning, and human machine interface to create intelligent robotic automation that solves complex production challenges.
They are now seeking to appoint a Lead Design Engineer / Design Engineering Manager.
The individual appointed will be hands-on and proactive, able to complete 'turnkey' engineering tasks leading to the successful delivery of projects in the Food & Drink, FMCG and Pharmaceutical sectors. Providing overall leadership of the Engineering and Design Department, the Manager appointed will manage the workload across Mechanical Design, Electrical Design, Controls Design and Software Engineering.
The individual appointed will gain a thorough understanding of the skills of the Engineering team and where additional training and development may be needed. They will use their understanding of the capabilities of the team to allocate Engineering tasks based on skillset (circa 5 members).
Further duties will include: Develop Specification Drawings and Documentation, Review existing Designs, Manage Drawings and the Design Change Process, Responsibility for Quality Control within the Engineering function, and work as part of a team responsible for managing New Product Development including the co-ordination of New Product Releases.
There will also be responsibility for Reviewing Detailed User Requirement Specs and Design Acceptance Documents. Once orders have been signed off by the customer, the Lead Design Engineer / Design Engineering Manager will manage and coordinate Design related queries and changes during the build stage and will work with Project Managers and other team members to ensure projects are successfully delivered.
The Lead Design Engineer / Design Engineering Manager will use their technical ability to innovate and conceptualise ideas and apply Automation and Robotic Design solutions, including the customising of standard products to fit unique customer challenges and applications.
The jobholder will be Involved in site surveys and feasibility studies, adding input from a Design and Engineering standpoint. They will maintain close liaison and collaboration with project teams installing systems on customer sites. There will be involvement in Risk Analysis activities at all stages from Design to Installation and Certification. Knowledge of Machinery Directive standards and ISO 12100 (Risk Assessment) would therefore assist.
- Good experience of SolidWorks / Inventor / Creo, able to produce Detailed Drawings and Prototype the 3D design work they complete.
- Applicants are expected to have some experience within Robotics and Automation in a Production / Industrial setting, including the Design of End of Arm Tooling.
- Due to the technical demands of this role it’s expected applicants hold a Degree in Engineering Management, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, combined with experience of Machinery/Automation supplied into the Food & Drink, FMCG or Pharma sectors.
- This role would suit a Mechanical Design Manager or Mechanically biased Engineering Manager who has gained a small amount of management experience and is looking to build on that. This role may also appeal to a Senior Engineer, with the right background, who has some experience of managing people and projects and wants to develop their management experience further.
- This role may be suited to an individual who has worked for small-to-medium sized enterprises and can be autonomous in their work whilst helping the team remain focused on achieving their goals.
- As the Lead Design Engineer / Design Engineering Manager will be working with a lot of autonomy, it is expected they will be self-motivated and conscientious, with excellent attention to detail.
Based in the South West, this role will include occasional UK travel to customer sites. The Salary for the role is £40,000 pa - £55,000 pa dependent on level of relevant experience. Ref 3114B
Within other businesses this role may be called: Mechanical Engineering Manager, Mechanical Design Manager, Engineering Manager, Design Manager, Engineering Design Manager, CAD Manager, Engineering & Design Manager, SolidWorks Design Manager.